Saturday, December 10, 2011

Secrets, Golf Courses and Chocolate Frosting.

Hey Bloggers-

Boy do I have a treat for you!  But the cake is a secret so I have to wait to talk about it...but I'm thrilled with how it turned out and can't wait to show everyone.   I'll get the post ready so I can post it ASAP.  Get excited.

But for today's post I'm finally going to talk about the golf course I made for my husband's 25th birthday.  My husband Danny...



He is an avid golfer and I've been so excited to make this cake for him.  But I've got to say this was the most stressful cake experience I've had yet.  As I have stated, I'm a big believer in test runs.  And thank goodness for that because otherwise I would have turned out the cake and it would've looked like this...



Yikes.

I haven't had much experience with turning out 9x13 cakes and didn't realize that they don't come out quite as easily as my 9 in rounds.  So I made some changes to the next trial.  I went a little overboard with the Pam and added parchment paper.  Parchment paper is awesome.  If you can't get your cakes to come out clean and they break, spray the pan with Pam...lots of it.  Then, line the bottom of the pan with parchment paper...if you don't have parchment paper you can use wax paper...but it won't be as easy to come off but it works really well as a substitute.

So much better!
Anyways.  Back to the golf course.

Squirrel!

Have you seen UP!?  I sometimes feel like that dog because I get distracted.  When I do I'll say Squirrel! and let you know what has just distracted me and why I'm off track.

Squirrel! (Chelsea Lately)

Anyways....so I searched for ideas online and it took some time but I finally got a sketch together of the cake and how I wanted it to look.  And I watched the golf course episode of Cake Boss three times :)

The cake...Chocolate and Coconut Marble Cake.  Source...www.easy-cake-ideas.com
This cake is incredible.  It is so tasty and moist and is to die for with chocolate frosting.



I made two sheet cakes and cut them into my desired shape, covered it with my mother-in-law's incredible chocolate frosting  and then let it sit for about an hour.  During this time I made the trees.  These were so fun, I used broken ice cream cones and piped sage colored frosting and then stuck them in the freezer while they set up.

Next I covered the cake with green fondant.  Then piped the grass using buttercream frosting...recipe also found on www.easy-cake-ideas.com  Next I used brown sugar for the sand traps, then the water was made of a gel icing that I bought at Michael's.  Then I used fondant for the golf ball and flag.  And the finishing touch (which I am the only one who was excited about this) were the weeds by the back pond, I dyed uncooked spagethhti and surrounded the pond.



The cake ended up looking awesome!  It was stressful because I worked until seven, and I didn't finish until about 2:30 am.  And Thanksgiving was that next week and I was so stressed.  But I survived all of the baking and took a little break...until last night.

You'll hear about that tomorrow  :)

OH!  And I'm sorry the pictures are so terrible.  The most decent camera I have is my iPhone.  And when I made my husband's cake the lens is all foggy because I may have set my phone to close to a hot pan and I think that's what ruined it...don't worry I replaced it and the pictures of the next cake are much better...but still iPhone quality.

You can find the recipes on that website I posted.  But here is my mother-in-law's frosting recipe.  Seriously, you'll die.  And you will never buy canned chocolate frosting again.  Ever.

Chocolate Frosting

Ingredients-

12 Tablespoons Cocoa
1 1/2 squares butter melted
4 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup milk
2 teaspoons vanilla

Directions-

-Combine powdered sugar, milk and vanilla


-Add cocoa and butter

-Refrigerate



That's it!  It is amazing.  Let me know if you try any recipes that you like!

Coming up this week....

-how to make and dye fondant
-using rice krispie treats on cakes
-future projects

No comments:

Post a Comment