Monday, December 12, 2011

Fondant

Let's be honest.

Fondant is not the tastiest thing.  But it does make cakes look beautiful, clean and perfectly decorated.  I have minimal experience with fondant but it has taught me a lot.  Most people buy their fondant...this is actually surprisingly expensive.  For my first time I decided to try store-bought and making my own. Here are my thoughts on the differences between store-bought and homemade.

Store-Bought Fondant

-there is a really good chance that it has sat on the shelf for a LONG time, and even though it's still good it can get really dried out and impossible to use.  1/4 of the fondant I bought I had to toss
-the colors are incredible, and it's easier than dying your own (tutorial below)
-it's expensive (especially the jazzy brands like Duff!)  Wilton isn't too bad but like I said it can be hard.
-You can't flavor it

Homemade Fondant

-SO cheap.
-tastes better
-you can choose the consistancy
-takes a lot more time and consideration

I make marshmallow fondant.  It is softer and doesn't dry out like store-bought fondant does.  And I think it tastes better too.  Making fondant is tricky.

Marshmallow Fondant Recipe

Ingredients-

1 16 oz. package mini marshmallows
2-5 Tablespoons water
2 lbs Powdered sugar
1/2 cup vegetable shortening

Directions-

-Place marshmallows and 2 tablespoons water in a microwave safe bowl.  Microwave for 30 second, stir.  Continue in 30 second intervals until the consistency is like marshmallow fluff.  About 2 1/2 minutes.
-Add coloring or flavoring at this point.  I use wilton gel/paste colors.  They are great and have a lot of variety
-Place 1/2-3/4 powdered sugar on top of the melted marshmallow.  GREASE YOUR HANDS!!!!! Fold in. If the marshmallow mix starts hardening and becomes hard to knead, throw it back in the microwave for a little bit to soften it up
-When the powdered sugar starts mixing pretty good I move to a clean and newly greased bowl.   
-If it feels dry and easily tears, add water 1/2 tablespoon at a time.
-When it is elastic without tearing, place it on a well greased counter top and knead for about 8 minutes.  If it is a little stick add more shortening.  This might sound gross but fondant can dry out VERY easily if not greased.
-When done kneading roll into a ball and cover with a layer of shortening.  Double wrap with plastic wrap and place in a freezer bag.  Keeps for several weeks in the fridge.
-Knead to use, roll out to 1/8 inch.

A lot of sites suggest adding the coloring after the you've added the powdered sugar.  But I've found that if you add coloring during the marshmallow stage it's a lot easier to get a brighter and more even color.

Here is how to dye pre-made white fondant.



 Toothpicks are my favorite way of adding color.  It doesn't take a lot of Wilton dye to color fondant and a toothpick gives you a lot of control and you won't loose product like you would if you used a spoon or something like that.


 It doesn't mix well at first.  Don't worry, grease up those hands and keep going it will eventually turn out.


 Plain white.  Ivory.  Peach cream.
  Colors by Wilton.


Roll out like cookie dough.  Make sure the cake has been frosted so the fondant as something to stick to.  Lay it on top and fit the fondant close to the cake.  Then use one of the tools pictured...found at Michael's and inexpensive.  This saves me.  My first fondant experience I used a knife and I was a mess.  This mini pizza cutter looking instrument will save you from sweating and tearing your fondant.

If you have questions...I'm here!  Fondant is tough and I'm finally getting the hang of it and would love to help anyone who is struggling!  My email is corinnesano@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment