Tuesday, December 13, 2011

14 layer cake

Hello Bloggers-

Since it is finals week and my brain is slightly fried, I haven't been able to bake as much as I would like.  So, I've decided to post on some previous projects I've done recently and hopefully I'll be able to get back in my apron after finals have finished.

While getting lost in baking blogs such as Bakerella and Brown Eyed Baker I stumbled across a 14 layer cake.  I was immediately fascinated.  I looked at the recipe and it seemed doable.  I've done this recipe twice and it definitely turned out better the second time so make sure and take my tips because it turned out absolutely fab the second time around!

Recipe...


http://www.oprah.com/food/The-Smith-Familys-12-Layer-Cake

I know it says 12 Layer cake but you'll have plenty of batter for 14 layers.

Make the cake as instructed.  I've used 2 different types of pans for this cake.  You can go to Cafe Rio and buy their to go tin foil pans for 50 cents each...WARNING some Cafe Rio's say no.  In that case go to the grocery store and they should have packs of three for like 2 dollars.  Make sure and pam the pans thoroughly and line with parchment paper.  The cakes need to come out completely and evenly to get the desired effect.  When you pour the cake batter into the pans make sure and use a rubber spatula to spread the batter evenly to the edges.  Remember that cake will normally rise taller in the middle of the cake so try to get this as even as possible so your cake will be flat.  Let them cool completely before removing.

Make icing as directed.  And spread a few tablespoons inbetween each layer and spread to the edges.  This is going to drip like crazy.

TIP:  If you are decorating your cake on the same surface it will be served on then before placing the cake down put a couple of pieces of parchment paper around the edges so when you decorate and icing/frosting dribbles you can simply remove the parchment paper from underneath the cake and have a clean display. 

To make the cake extra rich and tasty add my awesome chocolate frosting recipe all over.  (I realize I use this recipe a lot...but it's delicious.)




I really hope someone else attempts this cake because really it's totally doable and sooo delicious!
Let me know if you try it and what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment