Thursday, March 22, 2012

Happy Birthday Cortney

I have been so lucky to work with someone who has become such a good friend. Miss Cortney Kjar is a babe and I knew that for her birthday I'd have to find a truly awesome birthday cake. The search was on.

Cortney told me she was a really big fan of chocolate and peanut butter.

I had a recipe in my Lion House cookbook for a crunchy peanut butter chocolate cake. Perfect, right?

NO. Thank goodness for test runs.

I made this baby a week ago, and it called to be baked for 50-55 minutes. Like I've said before, I always check cakes like 10 minutes early...I'd never cooked a cake near that long, so I check the cake at 35 min and it was ready to get out! The cake ended up dry and with little flavor. I'm not even going to post the recipe. I wouldn't want any of you to make it.





So I kept scouring the internet. Then finally the day before we were going to have the cake I found this beauty here and as soon as I saw it I knew Cortney would love it and that I had to try it!

One problem, the cake says it takes two days to make, and the party at work was the next day. And I never give a cake out that I haven't already done a test run on. What to do...

Make two anyways!
I made one of these in 4 hours!

And it was a freaking mess. It has to freeze over night and I tried to get away without freezing it. My reasoning behind this was I never give out a cake I haven't tried, so I decided I'd rush it and get a good feel for if it was going to be a tasty cake. I ended up with this baby...



YIKES

But good news, it was delicious!

So I got to working on it again. Freezing it really does make all the difference in the world (clearly).



If you make this you a springform pan for the cheesecake. Otherwise you'll be peeling your cheesecake out of the pan!




















It was a hit! And totally worth it the hard work.



No comments:

Post a Comment